There’s a common misconception that seasonal allergies are only a problem in the spring and summer months. To the contrary, the colder months are an enormous source of discomfort to individuals with sinus conditions and allergies. This is due to more time spent indoors, which means less fresh air and increased exposure to winter allergens like dust, mold and pet dander.
These irritants can cause symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, itching, wheezing and intense sinus pressure. Thankfully, there are several ways to prevent these symptoms during this year’s cold and flu season. Experts at our Colorado Springs asthma clinic are here to provide head cold relief by helping you tackle allergies, sinus pressure and related conditions.
For People With Asthma And Allergies, Prevention Is Key In Managing Symptoms And Protecting Health.
The Following Tips Will Help Reduce The Risk Of Allergic Reactions During Cold And Flu Season:
- Use a HEPA filter to reduce airborne allergens like dust and pet dander.
- Bedding, including mattress covers, pillows and sheets should be hypoallergenic and washed weekly in hot water.
- Keep asthma and allergy medication on hand in the event of a reaction.
- If keeping pets indoors can’t be avoided, make an effort to bathe them regularly and keep them off beds, couches, etc.
- Inspect shower curtains, carpets, wallpaper, etc. for mold and remove and replace damaged items as quickly as possible.
- Since allergies can weaken the immune system, prevent cold and flu symptoms by paying special attention to hand washing and getting the recommended intake of vitamin C and other essential vitamins and minerals.
For sufferers of asthma and allergy in Colorado Springs, professional treatment is often necessary. When allergies, sinus troubles and resulting symptoms persist, our Colorado Springs allergists are here to help. Here in our Colorado Springs asthma clinic, we provide a number of treatments that will effectively reduce the severity and frequency of allergies, which will, in turn, provide sinus pressure and head cold relief. Further, our methods will help protect against cold and flu symptoms by protecting immunity through the reduction of allergy symptoms. We provide treatments that involve a wide variety of asthma and allergy medications like the following:
- Oral medications. The allergists at the Colorado Springs or Pueblo clinics will assess your symptoms and prescribe oral medications in the treatment of allergies, asthma and sinus conditions. These drugs include antihistamines, decongestants and corticosteroids, which can, respectively, block allergens, relieve sinus congestion and reduce inflammation and irritation.
- Immunotherapy. Our Colorado Springs and Pueblo allergy doctors may administer immunotherapy in cases of severe allergies. This treatment method involves a series of injections that will decrease allergy symptoms over time. In some cases, immunotherapy can eventually eliminate symptoms entirely.
If you’re looking for relief from symptoms pertaining to asthma and allergy in Colorado Springs, look no further. The Colorado Springs and Pueblo allergy doctors are here to help you find relief from asthma, allergies and sinus problems. Contact us or call us to schedule an appointment today!