The holidays usually bring good cheer to most everyone, however, those suffering with food allergies can feel a bit of anxiety during the celebrations.
The doctors at Asthma & Allergy Associates have a few tips during this season to safely enjoy this time with family and friends …
TIPS For An Enjoyable Holiday
- If you are the host, ask your guests if there are any food allergies to be aware of. If there is a guest with food allergies, finding safe food substitutes for some food allergens can be found at the FARE website (food Allergy Research & Education) www.foodallergy.org. There are food substitutes for milk, wheat, eggs, and peanuts.
- If you are a guest, call the host and let them know of your family member’s allergies, and offer to bring dishes that are safe for your loved one
- Eat a big breakfast or lunch before arriving as many appetizers have nuts, seafood and other allergens.
- If you have a child with a food allergy, discuss what they can and can’t eat, and have a dish that you have prepared for them for peace of mind.
- Have a plan with your significant other to take turns watching out for children with food allergies
- Be sure to have two epinephrine auto-injectors at all times if prescribed
Avoid Emergency Room Visits
Holidays typically bring on more food allergy related ER visits, so be sure to plan ahead, whether you are the host or the guest to have a fun, safe holiday season with family and friends!
Asthma Allergy Associates Can Help
At Asthma Allergy Associates, PC and Research Center, we created a food Allergy center because of the rise in food allergies. If you suspect you or a loved one have a food allergy, talk to one of our food allergy specialists. Schedule your appointment today: